From the Manufacturer
Shun Classic Cutlery
Why Buy Shun Classic:
Born of the ancient samurai-sword-making tradition and hand-finished for precision and beauty, Shun Classic is an ideal choice for anyone buying their first Japanese knife or 50th. The high-quality line of cutlery makes a worthwhile addition to any chef’s arsenal of tools–it’s used by professional chefs and home cooks alike. Produced in the widest variety of specialized styles, the Classic line features both traditional European blade shapes and innovative state-of-the-art designs.
Shun Classic’s amazingly sharp blade is famous for both edge retention and ease of sharpening. Each blade has a core of VG-10 “Super Steel” with a Pattern Damascus cladding of 32 layers of high-carbon stainless steel–16 layers on either side. At the same time as the wood grain pattern enhances the knife’s beauty, it also adds durability and stain resistance, and reduces friction when cutting.
NSF certified for use in commercial kitchens.
- Blade core consists of high-carbon VG-10, a Japanese super steel known for its edge retention, allowing the knives to hold their sharp edges for years.
- Blades boast a 16-degree angle, making these the sharpest knives out of the box. This is sharper than traditional European blades, which are regularly sharpened to 20-22 degrees.
- Clad with 16 layers of SUS410/SUS431 Pattern Damascus stainless steel on each side for strength and flexibility. This metal is corrosion-resistant and easy to maintain.
- Damascus styling adds to the wonderful thing about the knife At the same time as the microscopic air pockets created by the cladding process reduces friction all the way through slicing.
- D-shaped handle fits in the palm and provides comfort and keep watch over, keeping the knife’s handle secure in the hand all the way through use.
- Available standard in D-shaped handle styles or by special order in reverse D-shaped handle styles.
- Pakkawood handles, made of resin-impregnated hardwood, are NSF Certified for use in commercial kitchens.
- Produced in Seki City, Japan, the capital of samurai sword manufacturing.
- Rockwell hardness rating of 60-61 ensures that it takes and holds its incredibly sharp edge longer.
- Hand wash and dry recommended; limited lifetime warranty.
|Blade Material:||VG-10 hardened Japanese steel cutting core, clad with 16 layers of SUS410/SUS431 Pattern Damascus stainless steel on each side, for a total of 33 layers of metal.|
|Cutting angle:||16 degrees per side (comprehensive angle 32 degrees). This is sharper than European knives, ground to 20-22 degrees per side.|
|Handle Material:||PakkaWood (resin-impregnated hardwood); D-Shaped handle available in right and (by special order) left-handed versions.|
|Sharpening recommendations:||Weekly honing to maintain the blade, sharpening as needed with professional sharpener or Asian-style electric sharpener.|
A member of the stylish Shun Classic line, this knife comfortably handles any kitchen slicing need from cakes and sandwiches to oranges and tomatoes. Featuring a blade measuring 9 inches in length, this tool finishes with a sharp point. Scalloped detailing along the knife’s cutting edge creates air pockets all the way through use to prevent food from adhering to its sides and maximize cutting efficiency.
Leveraging a 90-year history of superior workmanship, Shun knives are precision-forged in Japan by renowned blade manufacturer KAI. The use of technologically advanced processes, a VG-10 “super steel” core is clad with 16 layers of high-carbon stainless steel to produce a rust-free Damascus-look blade. The Damascus detailing not only enhances the knife’s aesthetic appeal, it also prevents morsels from sticking and avoids crushing or damaging foods. Forming a comfortable D-shaped hold, a fused blend of hardwood veneers and resin comprise the unique ebony Pakkawood handle. A traditionally offset stainless-steel bolster protects knuckles At the same time as a steel end-cap finishes the piece. Even though dishwasher-secure, hand washing is recommended. This product includes a lifetime warranty. — Amy Arnold
9″ Japanese slicing knife, ideal for everything from cakes to sandwiches
Precision-forged stainless-steel blade, scalloped edge prevents food from sticking
Clad with16 layers of stainless steel to produce a rust-free Damascus look